10.07.2013

Book Style: The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn #1

The Last Unicorn #2

The Last Unicorn #3

My friend/coworker, Justus, put in a request for a The Last Unicorn Book Style. Peter S. Beagle's epic tale of a lone unicorn who goes in search of her missing kin has gone through several cover designs over the years and most people are at least passingly familiar with the gorgeous animation from the 1982 movie adaptation. I chose three covers to work with and I also restricted myself to non-pants outfits. For starters, I just don't think unicorns would ever wear anything as restrictive and utilitarian as pants and, also, Justus never really wears pants either.


  1. The 40th Anniversary: This look is a little bit preppy and a lot of timeless, menswear style. I think layering a colored button-down underneath a top or dress let's you incorporate color in interesting ways. This slightly creepy, black unicorn ring is my favorite of the bunch.
  2. The 1982 Mass Market: I thought of a pond the minute I saw this skirt, and it works so perfectly with this color scheme. The Essie polish is called "Carnival" which is perfect for this book. The taurus ring and the butterfly watch are both nods to characters in the story also.
  3. The 1968 (Original): This sweatshirt is such a cheeky nod to the whole plot that I couldn't resist. I also decided that these graphic leggings would make a great base layer for a Last Unicorn outfit since her search leads to the sea. The three piece ring is something I'd really like to try but I'm convinced it would feel all weird. The final, perfect touch is this abstract minotaur necklace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.”
― Andy Warhol

Comment away!