Good googly mooglies! It has been forever since I posted a Link Love. I mean, it's kind of been forever since I posted anything, but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Let's not dwell on the past, shall we? Here's a round up of some of the best bookish things I've compiled for you over the past couple of months.
- I am so pleased with the diversity on my local library's Best Books of 2017 list! Way to be amazing Multnomah County!
- Caleb Green is my new hero. This adorable 4-year-old read 100 books (!) in one day. Because he wanted to!
- Enjoy this Harry Potter chapter written by a predictive text bot. I need a "Hermione Has Forgotten How To Dance" shirt now.
- Language is political: Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year is 'feminism', Global Language Monitor's Word of the Year is 'truth', and Dictionary.com's Word of the Year is 'complicit'. (Still waiting to see what word/s the Oxford English Dictionary and the American Dialect Society announce.)
- Judge books by their covers: Paste's 30 Best Book Covers of 2017. What would you add to this list?
- The first poster for the upcoming Ready Player One movie was released and I suspect Photoshop was used. Poorly.
- Redcurrant and blackcurrant jelly may have eluded poor Meg Brooks née March in Little Women, but if you follow this recipe you can master it! It sounds delicious and I am not on the hunt for currants.
- Cover design forecast for 2018. I have zero complaints about any of these trends.
- Okay, I can follow the logic on banning the pop-up version of A Charlie Brown Christmas (you could hide weapons in it), but I fail to see how Freakanomics could incite a riot where Mein Kampf is okay. If you want to see the entire list of what books are banned in the Texas prison system, you can here.
- It's so hard not buy books for everyone because, well, BOOKS! But this article makes a good point about not buying books for non-readers this holiday. I'd be mad if someone bought me golf clubs just because they like to golf, because I do not like to golf.
- Speaking of prisoners and books, an Oakland firefighter is collecting books for inmate fire crews through December.
- I'm not sure I agree 100% with Eco's logic, but I love that my "antilibrary" is a good thing, especially since I have a small addiction to my library hold function.
- NPR's 2017 Book Concierge is here.
- "The skin along her arms and shoulders are different shades of tan like water stains in a bathtub." is the line that earned Christopher Bollen this year's "Bad Sex in Fiction" award.
- Carrie Fisher has been nominated for a posthumous Grammy for the audiobook of The Princess Diarist. Miss her.
- Why ARE children's authors so eccentric?
- Obvious State's 2018 Bibliophilia Mini Calendar is stunning! (Of course it is, everything they make is.)
- I'd be okay if my house smelled like Frostbeard Studios' The Shire candle all the time.
- Who needs the Sorting Hat when you can have your very own Sorting Candle!
- Literary Rocks Glasses for the book AND booze loving person in your life. FYI, I am that person, and I prefer the Sherlock Holmes one. Thank you in advance.
- This is the coolest bookish necklace I've seen in ages!
- I LOL'd at this Bookmarks Are For Quitters t-shirt.
- My husband just made me a tealight holder, so I am all about these Mini Library Scented Tea Lights!
- These Mrs. Darcy nail wraps are gorgeous.
- Juniper Books' We Write, We Rise collection of female American writers is everything my feminist, lit-loving heart craves.