4.02.2014

Book Style: A Monstrous Regiment Of Women

A Monstrous Regiment Of Women

I've been in a weird reading slump lately; I've started so many excellent books recently and have managed to finish exactly none of them. Reading ADD or something. So I decided to revisit some of my favorite series. I already posted a Book Style for the first book in my favorite series ever, The Beekeeper's Apprentice, so I thought I'd work my way through the other eleven books in Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series. Since this year marks the 20th anniversary of The Beekeeper's Apprentice, even better!

The second book, A Monstrous Regiment of Women, sets up the format that the series takes on after Beekeeper's and introduces us to Mary post-university as she comes into her inheritance and embarks on her adult life. The plot involves a charismatic female preacher, the women's liberation movement, and a heroin smuggler. I loved that this book helped address Holmes' former addiction and Mary's past. The scenes where Mary is being held captive and the scenes following her rescue are still some of my favorite out of all eleven books. 

This outfit is an update on a ladylike but practical outfit for your gal about town. While Mary would never wear impractical heels or so much jewelry (and she would never brag about her and Holmes' marriage with such an obvious bag)  I like to think I captured her essence a bit here. It's also fair to say, that since I relate so hard to Mary I may be projecting quite a bit of myself into this outfit, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.”
― Andy Warhol

Comment away!