8.12.2013

Book Style: Shades Of Grey

Shades Of Grey


Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde is a great example of modern speculative fiction and should never ever be confused with 50 Shades of Grey. The book is set in the future and is a dystopian tale that focuses on a humanity that has evolved (or devolved?) to be highly sensitive to color. People live in a highly structured society built around a caste system based on the highest color a person can see naturally; Ultra-violets at the top and Greys at the bottom. 

I chose a felted wool shift because it's utilitarian and futuristic in its simplicity. I love the paint drip tights and the Pantone chip nail ring; I think they help pay homage to the colorocracy in the tale. The barcode ring and spoon earrings will make much more sense after you've read the book. (And on that note, when are we ever going to get the sequel Mr. Fforde???). I wanted to bring in the rainbow spectrum with subtlety and I think this manicure and these Jeffrey Campbell booties do a great job. I also love the rainbow hued floral necklace that is a nod to the gardens with pumped-in synthetic color that are mentioned in detail.

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this book! I think I've heard of it, but it might just remind me of The Giver, except they have no color. What a great way to get outfit inspiration. Love the nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an amazing book. In fact, everything Jasper Fforde writes is amazing and weird.

      Delete

“Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.”
― Andy Warhol

Comment away!